Cystic Fibrosis access options
What is cystic fibrosis?
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a disorder caused by a defective gene and is characterised by the formation of thick mucus accumulating in the lungs, digestive tract and other parts of the body which can lead to severe respiratory and digestive problems1. The mucus obstructs the airways of the lungs and traps bacteria, increasing the risk of infections, extensive lung damage, and eventually, respiratory failure. The accumulation of mucus in the pancreas impedes the release of digestive enzymes and thus the breakdown food and absorption of vital nutrients1.
Who gets cystic fibrosis?
Worldwide more than 70,000 people live with cystic fibrosis worldwide and most are diagnosed at a very young age. The majority of the CF population are aged 18 or older. Cystic fibrosis can result in symptoms that vary from person to person in type and severity. Treatment plans are thus tailored to the needs of each patient1.
What medicines are there for cystic fibrosis?
For a list of medicines that have been approved for cystic fibrosis, please see below. If a medicine has been approved by at least one reputable medical authority in the world but it is not available in your country, you may be able to purchase it via our service; we may be able to source and deliver it to you if you can provide a prescription from your doctor.
1. About Cystic Fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. www.cff.org. Cited on 01/03/2018.
- Kaftrio (elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€16,727.10
- Symkevi (tezacaftor/ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€6,996.95
- Lucaftor (lumacaftor/ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€3,730.82
- Trikafta (elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor; ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€56,838.60
- Kalydeco (ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€8,981.09
- Symdeko (tezacaftor / ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€48,126.00
- Orkambi (lumacaftor/ivacaftor)Cystic Fibrosis€13,192.48