Home / Products / Neurodegenerative diseases / Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis


Available treatments for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
You can order a treatment for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis via TheSocialMedwork if it has not been approved and/or is not available in the patient's country. TheSocialMedwork - helping patients and doctors access the latest approved medicines and at the lowest price possible worldwide.
drip
View Product

Radicut

(edaravone)

by: Mitsubishi Tanabe
for: ALS
• FDA approved (USA)
• PMDA approved (JAP)

unknown
Enquire now

We may still be able to get it for you, provided that:

• it hasn't been approved and/or isn't available in your country
• you and your treating doctor have evaluated that the medicine is suitable for you, and your doctor writes a prescription for it.


About amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), sometimes called Lou Gehrig’s disease or Motor Neurone Disease (MND), is a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurological disease that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles, the motor neurons. In ALS motor neurons degenerate or die, and stop sending messages to muscles. Unable to function, the muscles gradually weaken and eventually, the ability of the brain to start and control voluntary movement is lost. Gradually, all muscles under voluntary control are affected, and individuals lose their strength and the ability to move their arms, legs, and body. When muscles in the diaphragm and chest wall fail, the ability to breathe is lost and ventilatory support is needed. Most people with ALS die from respiratory failure, usually within 3 to 5 years from the onset of symptoms. However, about 10 % of ALS patients survive for 10 or more years [1].

ALS is more common in the 40 to 70 year age group with a higher incidence in people aged over 50. Only 10 % of cases are familial (inherited) with the remaining 90 % sporadic. Although classified as a rare disease based on its prevalence, ALS in fact quite common. There are approximately 140,000 new cases diagnosed worldwide each year [2].

There is no cure yet for ALS. Treatments are, thus, designed to relieve symptoms and improve the quality of life for individuals with the disorder. This supportive care is best provided by multidisciplinary teams of healthcare professionals such as physicians; pharmacists; physical, occupational, and speech therapists; nutritionists; and social workers and home care and hospice nurses, who can design an individualized plan of medical and physical therapy and provide special equipment aimed at keeping patients as mobile and comfortable as possible [1].

The above products may be suitable for treating patients with ALS. We recommend that you discuss the suitability of possible treatment options with your doctor. For further information please contact our support team at support@thesocialmedwork.com.


Registered with the Dutch Ministry of Health as an independent intermediary, Registration number 6730 BEM



Share our website

Follow us


DISCLAIMER: The Services of TheSocialMedwork do not replace a physician-patient relationship and are not intended as medical advice. TheSocialMedwork provides patients and physicians with existing treatment options abroad and creates access to these options after the patient and physician have made a professional decision. Privacy Policy / Terms and Conditions
Our service uses cookies.